September 11, 2001, caused a dramatic shift in government priority and need. As the Department of Defense (DoD) grappled with new challenges, comprehensive language preparedness became a critical necessity. Founded in 2003 as a DoD university affiliated research center with a nationally recognized research staff, the University of Maryland Center for Advanced Study of Language (CASL) is the first and only national resource dedicated to addressing the language needs of the Intelligence Community (IC).
CASL's overarching mission is to defend and protect our country by improving our language readiness and capabilities.
The charge was clear:
- Bring the best of academe and industry to the hardest government problems
- Provide the knowledge, resources, and technologies critical to analyst job performance
- Advance workforce readiness for both regular and surge capabilities
- Improve operational performance
- Underpin critical leadership decisions on immediate and future staffing, technologies, and analyst workflow design and management
The premier strategic research partner to the IC on the most critical and challenging language problems, ultimately infusing language research into day-to-day job performance as well as critical leadership decisions that directly affect mission.
- Conduct independent, empirically based science guided by the strategic needs of the IC, coupled with an agility when solving the toughest current operational language problems.
- Capitalize on the extraordinary talents of a permanent staff of nationally recognized, multidisciplinary research scientists and former and current IC outstanding practitioners, supported by a stronghold of language experts from academe and business in the United States and around the world.
- Collaborate with IC thought-leaders, managers, and analysts to successfully transition rigorous research into the operational environment and assess its impact.
Our researchers come from many disciplines and from across the country
We could not accomplish our ambitious research goals without the people who drive CASL's work every day. With over 80 researchers strong and growing, CASL draws from the best scholars and experts to accomplish its research.
We are a family-oriented, collaborative organization that values superior research and our people. Learn more about what it is like to work at CASL by visiting Employment.